A green card is an important document. It not only allows you to permanently work and live in the U.S, but also serves as an identification document, proof of immigration status, work authorization document, and as an entry document after international travels.

Other articles on the topic,

There are countless other reasons to ensure that your green card is not expired, mutilated, destroyed, or made invalid due to other reasons. However, life happens – regardless of how careful you are with your green card, you may find yourself in a situation where you realize that your green card is expired, lost, or destroyed. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you may want to renew or replace your green card for the following reasons:

  1. Your green card is lost, stolen, or destroyed,
  2. Your green card has already expired or is expiring within the next 6 months,
  3. You changed your legal name,
  4. You wish to replace your older alien registration card with a current green card,
  5. You are about to be 14 years old and the green card was issued before you were 14,
  6. Your name, date of birth, or some other information is incorrectly listed,
  7. You never received a green card after USCIS issued it.

How do I renew or replace my green card?

If any of the above reasons apply to your situation, you must be wondering what the next step is. Fortunately, the green card replacement or renewal process is pretty straightforward.

Step 1: You must complete and file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card online or by mail. If you would like to file the form online, click here; or if you rather file via mail, click here to download Form I-90. Note that, if you decide to file the form via mail, you must type or print it legibly on black ink and make sure the form is properly signed. It is always a good idea to use certified mail to file and keep the receipt for your record. The form itself is free and it costs nothing to download, however, you must pay a filing fee to the USCIS. If you would like the USCIS to e-notify you within 24 hours of their acceptance of your application, you must also submit Form G-1145. The current I-90 filing fee is $540, which includes a $455 standard fee and an $85 biometric fee. Remember to mail an exact amount made out to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and never send cash. If you decide to file online, you must create a new USCIS online account, or log in to an existing one. After logging in you must complete the form, submit the necessary documents, and electronically sign and submit. As you fill out the application, the website will automatically calculate the fee amount and determine what documents are necessary for your situation. After you submit your application, you can track the case status online by logging in to your USCIS account and reading any notifications or messages.

Step 2: After you submit your application, the USCIS will send you a receipt notice (I-797C) usually within 2-4 weeks after your application has been accepted. In some cases, the USCIS may contact you to Request For Information (RFE). If they do, there is no reason to panic – in most cases, the USCIS will approve your application after the timely submission of the requested documents. Based on your application, the USCIS will contact you to schedule a biometric appointment a few weeks after you submit your application. In most cases, there is no interview – only an appointment where you submit your fingerprints, photographs, and signature. However, based on your situation, the USCIS may sometimes request an interview before it approves your application. You must travel to a local USCIS Application Support Center or a Field Office to attend the biometric appointment or an interview, or both. Oklahoma City U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is located at 4400 SW 44th St suite a, Oklahoma City, OK 73119.

Step 3: After the USCIS approves your application, they will mail your new green card to the address you provided on your application. Depending on your circumstances, USCIS caseload, and other factors the entire processing time may range anywhere from 4 to 16 weeks.

How may a conditional permanent resident replace or renew their green card?

If you are a conditional green card holder for example and obtained your status through marriage, you may renew or replace your green card by filing Form I-90. However, if you are a conditional resident and your green card is expired or expiring within 90 days, you may not renew by filing Form I-90. In such a case, you must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Condition on Residence.

Do I need to hire an attorney to file Form I-90?

No, you do not need to hire an attorney to file Form I-90. However, it’s a good idea to hire an immigration attorney to help minimize the likelihood of denials or delays. An immigration attorney will help you understand the process, evaluate your situation, and survey for potential issues. Vivid Niroula is an Oklahoma Immigration Attorney serving Oklahoma City Metro area. He prides himself on providing the highest level of service and will help you at every step of the process.

If you want to ensure your I-90 is filed correctly and would like to hire Attorney Vivid Niroula, Call our law office today at (405) 456-9250, or fill out the Contact Us Form. and schedule a free consultation. We can meet in person, over the phone, or via a video call for your convenience.