A green card is a critical document that functions as evidence of work authorization, identification and travel document, and more. It’s imperative that your green card is current and not expired. If your green card is expiring soon, lost, destroyed, mutilated, etc. you must apply to renew or replace it.

While some of the older green cards do not have an expiration date, most of them are valid for 10 years. If you are a holder of a conditional green card, then your green card is valid for 2 years.

Other articles on the topic,

How to renew or replace a 10-year green card in Oklahoma City?

If you were issued a green card that is valid for 10 years and is expiring within the next 6 months, it’s time to renew the card. On the other hand, if your card is lost or has been destroyed, you may also want to apply to replace your card. Regardless of the reason, you can apply to replace or renew the green card by filling out Form I-90 online, or by completing and mailing a paper-based Form I-90.

To successfully complete the application, you must fill out the forms correctly, pay the fees, and include the required documents. At the time this article is written, you are required to pay a $540 application fee, including the form fee and the biometrics fee. Along with the application fee, you must include a copy of your lost or expiring green card. If you are unable to include a copy of your current green card, you may be required to include other documents that may help to confirm your identity, a copy of your passport for example.

After the application has been successfully submitted, you will likely hear back from the USCIS within 2 to 4 weeks, notifying you of the receipt of your I-90 application. Such notification is called a notice of action, Form I-797. If you fail to correctly fill out the form or include the correct filing fees, the USCIS will send you a notice of action rejecting your application. In some cases, if you are missing a required document or further explanation is required, the USCIS may send you a notice of action with a Request for Evidence (RFE).

Additionally, within a few weeks of your application, the USCIS may notify you of the biometrics appointment. Make sure you show up for the appointment at the correct location on the day and time listed under your appointment details. You will be required to submit photographs, fingerprints, and a signature at the appointment.

In most cases with no Request for Evidence (RFE), it takes anywhere from 6 to 9 months for you to receive your new green card. However, please note that every case is different, and depending on your particular situation the time frame may vary drastically.

How to renew or replace a 2-year green card in Oklahoma City?

If you have been granted a conditional permanent residence, your green card is valid for 2 years. Generally speaking, if you received your green card through marriage to a US citizen or through an EB-5 employment-based category, you have a conditional green card. In such a case, you do not file Form I-90 to renew your card, instead, you must file a petition to remove the condition on your green card during the 90 days before the card expiration date.

If you fail to petition the USCIS to remove the condition on your card in the 90-day window, you will lose your permanent resident status and may have to leave the United States.

However, if your 2-year conditional green card is lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated, and you are outside the 90-day expiration period, you may file I-90 to replace your card. Please note that if you apply to replace a lost card and you are within the 90-day expiration period, the USCIS will deny your application. In such a situation, you must file a petition to remove the condition, not file Form I-90.

OKC Immigration Lawyer: Green Card Attorney in Oklahoma City

If you need help with your green card renewal process, please contact the law office of Vivid Niroula. Mr. Niroula is an immigration attorney based in OKC and has a solid understating of US immigration laws. You can contact us by calling (405) 456-9250, or by filling out the Contact Us Form.